Monday, August 19, 2013

Sizzling HOT Summer days and evenings? Cool down with a quick, easy and delicious salad!

It's rare for me to utter the words, "I don't feel like cooking" on any given day or evening. But, last night after hours of errands, bill paying organizing my life while it's over 90 degrees in Oakland...yep, I said it!
So after melting into my favorite chair and listening to my stomach growl one too many times, I decided to literally "throw" something together. Et Voila! Roasted Shrimp with Mango and Basil-Lemon dressing was born.
Typically, I research on the web if ANYONE created the recipe before me, but I'm taking credit for this one. Fast, so easy and super delicious.

Roasted Shrimp:
I bought a bag of peeled and deveined shrimp in the frozen section of Whole Foods. Naturally, fresh will also work. I pondered the concept of fresh while standing at the frozen food door with my Dad and Grandmother whispering into my ears..."buy fresh, buy fresh, buy fresh", until I saw the price difference and grabbed the  frozen bag and merrily skipped down the food isle.

Now you may be wondering...roast the shrimp? In the oven?
On a HOT day? Are you out of your mind? But, trust me the shrimp taste sweeter and will only be in the oven for 8 minutes.

Spread the shrimp evenly on to a roasting pan. Sprinkle with good olive oil, salt and pepper. Then toss gently with your hands until evenly coated. Place in a 400 degree oven for ONLY 8 minutes. One minute longer, not good. Over cooked and rubbery. (See Ina Gratin/Barefoot Contessa recipe for Roasted Shrimp). While the shrimp are roasting, spread a layer of mixed greens onto a plate, sprinkle with cubed mango.

Dressing:
Now, dressing...ready? Two tablespoons of good mayo, one tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1/2 grated lemon (or not) two tablespoons of freshly cut basil and salt and pepper to taste.

Allow the shrimp to cool slightly and place onto the salad then a generous dollop of dressing to top the salad off. Et fini! I thought about herbed goat cheese or a few sprinkles of a triple cream, but this salad was good on its own. Not even a nut was needed just a good Savion Blanc and baguette.

Often times creativity comes from inspiration…inspiration is a growling stomach. But, most of all remember … cooking with love makes everything taste better.

Lady E Cooks.


No comments:

Post a Comment