Monday, November 24, 2014

Nailed, It!

The other day I wrote an article about my attempt at making chocolate candy appropriately named, "Not So Nutty". Needless to say it was a slight disaster. So, I went back in the kitchen, rolled up my sleeves and used some common sense. First attempt failed because the chocolate didn't adhere to the nuts and visa versa. Solution? Use a small container to restrict the chocolate in one area.
Second, problem... how to set the chocolate and make them easily removable? Grease never hurt nobody! So, I used BUTTER... it wouldn't hurt the nuts, chocolate or raisins, right! Right.
Ingredients:
1/2 cup mild chocolate morsels
1/2 cup dark chocolate morsels
1/4 cup of raisins - I used Flame.
1/2 cup roasted plain almonds.






I have a mini muffin pan. Why do I have a mini muffin pan? To make muffins? Nope, I had no real need to use the mini muffin pan when I first bought it at Home Goods eons ago. It was on sale for $2.00...and as my Mother would say, "..Never pass up a $2.00 sale on anything. It'll come in handy one day...". Well, Mom...you are so right. In this case the mini muffin pan came in mighty handy. 
Liberally line inside the muffin tin with butter, just so once the chocolate has set the candy is easy to remove. Then place on the bottom a few (2-3) raisins and (1-2) almonds, depending on how chunky you like your candy.


In a Pyrex boil over a pot of simmering water, called a double boiler in culinary terms, be sure the water does NOT touch the base of the Pyrex bowl... unless, of course you want the chocolate to scorch, burn and be totally useless. Okay, moving no... pour both chocolates in the bowl. DO not and I repeat DO NOT walk away. This is where patience comes in handy, not paying any attention to anything electronic or distractions will test you. Children won't bother you, because they want to lick the spoon...OM, your way into chocolate bliss, you'll thank me for it later.


Some of you might be asking...where's the heavy cream? The liqueur? It's not really needed...but, it won't hurt. That's for another recipe and article. Watch the chocolate melt slowing and with ne hand gently hold either a wooden spoon or my preference a latex spatula. When there is more molten chocolate than chips that's when you start to fold gently until the mixture turns into liquidy mocha gold. Remove from the double boiler and begin to spoon into prepared muffin sections. Let cool for  2 - 3 minutes than set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Once done... chocolate chunk heaven.




WARNING: they are a bit challenging to bite into and...they are darn irresistible. Recommendation: Instead of butter... a plain non flavored oil or spray will work, too. Also, in my next experiment I might dust powered sugar or dark chocolate after the oil as been placed in the tin... then put a dollop of chocolate on the bottom as a base then, raisins and nuts, then more chocolate to top off.

Next experiment... pecans and caramel. Can someone say great holiday giveaways?

Remember, cooking with love makes any recipe taste.





No comments:

Post a Comment